Secrets of the Apple Tree
written by Carron Brown and Alyssa Nassner
This beautifully illustrated book will introduce children to the joys of nature, and show them what wonderful secrets are revealed if you just look a little closer. By holding a light behind each page, children can see the creatures who make a tree their home, from the worms who live among the roots to the birds who nest high up in the branches. The clever see-through reading technique creates an experience of interactive learning, showing both the surface and what is hidden underneath at the same time.
In the Classroom
- EDC Publishing has a list of teaching tips specifically for Secrets of the Apple Tree.
- Teach Mentor Texts reviewed the book and has lesson suggestions.
- When teaching with this book some fun products you might want to use would be Mattel’s Apples to Apples Jr, Learning Resources Attribute Apples, or Apple Accents.
written by Bindi Irwin & Chris Kunz
Inspired and co-created by Bindi Irwin, daughter of iconic wildlife expert Steve Irwin, and Dancing With The Stars contestant. A fast-paced adventure series featuring The Jungle Girl herself! The stories are inspired and co-created by Bindi Irwin, daughter of the iconic wildlife expert, Steve Irwin. The series features the characters of Bindi, her brother Robert, mother Terri, and the Australia Zoo.
In the Classroom
- Making Science fun and interesting can sometimes be hard, but the Bnidi Wildlife Adventures series helps children peak their interest in wildlife and animal sciences! These wildlife bookmarks would be a great handout when starting to discuss Animal Sciences.
- The National Wildlife Foundation has a list of free lesson plans covering everything from Habitats, Ecosystems, and Wildlife!
- Texas Parks & Wildlife, as well, offers an array of lesson plans and activities to help students get interested in Wildlife Sciences.